The General Education Program at Appalachian seeks to provide students with a first-rate liberal arts education. Our goal is well-rounded students with the knowledge and skills important for professional and personal success at Appalachian and after graduation: abilities to think critically and creatively, communicate effectively, make local-to-global connections, and understand the responsibilities of community membership.
During the 2020-21 academic year, a group of colleagues from across campus hosted campus-wide listening sessions to hear perspectives from the campus community on a range of topics related to General Education at the program level, and to help plan for its future.
The General Education Listening Task Force submitted its final report in summer of 2021. The recommendations in that report led to the formation of the General Education Revision Task Force. This task force was charged with developing a proposal for a revised General Education Program during the 2021-22 academic year based on the recommendations of the General Education Listening Task Force final report. The revision task force has been hard at work throughout this academic year and has developed a proposal for a revised General Education program. This proposal is currently being prepared to be submitted to the Undergraduate AP&P Committee for its April 27 meeting.
The General Education Revision Task Force held two Zoom Listening Sessions on March 17, to hear your thoughts on the proposed General Education revision. The Listening Sessions recordings are available at the links below.
Documents and Information
General Education Revision Task Force
- Christine Anderson (University College Academic Advising)
- Laura England (Sustainable Development / FAA)
- Leonardo Flores (Chair English / CAS)
- Darci Gardner (Languages Literature and Cultures / CAS)
- Kim Hall (Philosophy and Religion / CAS)
- Tina Hogan (IRAP)
- Kristin Hyle (Assistant Director Gen Ed)
- Richard Klima (Director FYS)
- Melissa Lesbines (Hayes School of Music)
- Denise Levy (Associate Dean BCHS)
- Dave McEvoy (Chair Economics / WCOB)
- Thomas McNeill (SGA)
- Jamie Parson (Interim Chief Diversity Officer)
- Theresa Redmond (Curriculum and Instruction, Elementary Ed / RCOE)
- Kelly Rhodes (Belk Library and Information Commons)
- Jeni Wyatt (Transfer Admissions and Engagement)
- Ted Zerucha (Director Gen Ed / Committee Chair)